Point Sturt Celebrates 160 years on August 22nd

Share to

17 August, 2021

The first meeting at Point Sturt was in the tent home of William Crawford in 1855. A Church was then built, opening in 1861, free of debt.  David Mann supervised the construction of the building and also built the cedar seats. The slate roof which still remains was the work of James Crabb Verco.  An organ was purchased in 1925.

Baptisms were performed in the lake.  In 1868 there were 53 scholars in the Sunday School.

In 1900 it was considered acceptable for a wage of 104 pounds per year for a married man and 80 pounds per year for a single man.

There will be a service at this well maintained building on August 22nd at 2.00pm.  Grant Simpson will be the speaker and Daryll Telfer is leading the service.  Although not in regular use for many years, we are still celebrating 160 years of the faithful witness of this Church.

Enquiries and registrations for attendance can be made to Carolyn Yelland 0412 499 302.


More From 'Latest News'